When we got back to the room, I started laying out my race gear and realized my Garmin Forerunner 10 was BROKEN!!! That thing is my security blanket, I do not run without my Garmin or my sparkleskirts. It's about 1.5 years old, but I'm not happy that the strap just somehow broke off in my suitcase. We didn't fly and I didn't mishandle our luggage, so I have no idea how it happened. I tried to put it back together but clearly it's one of those "planned obsolescence" kind of things. I refuse to run without it, especially since I was planning to do run/walk intervals, so I used my McGyver skills to come up with this "solution":
I got on one of the first buses to the race, no waiting, no traffic. I know sleeping an extra 30-45 minutes is nice, but 1am feels pretty much the same as 3am, so I'd rather just get up earlier and not deal with the stress of lines for the bus and traffic jams.
I liked that they had these lounge chairs out, I don't remember that from earlier race staging areas, but maybe I just never noticed.
I cut the sleeves off my Cindy in Rags costume because it was in the 70's with humidity in the 90's and I live in Florida, so I am fully aware of what running in those conditions is like.
The start line loomed up ahead, just waiting for thousands of runners to pass through.
Right before the finish line I saw one of my favorite guys and had to stop for a picture:
What I Didn't Like:
- I wish there were more characters on the course. I know I skipped a few, but there weren't that many to choose from.
- The crazy early start. It seems like with a shorter race we could have started even later, but it is what it is.
- I loved the medal, but if I'd designed it, the coach rounded part would have been on a spinner and when you spun it around, there would be a pumpkin on the back side. Wouldn't that have been awesome?
- I didn't like having to do this race at a slower pace than I wanted to because of the impending half the next morning.
- I love the distance. It's long enough to be a challenge, but not long enough to be stressful or exhausting.
- I loved running through Epcot and the Boardwalk, the course was great.
- The transportation was well run and I didn't have to wait for anything.
- We got the same snack box and drinks as after the half.
Stay tuned for the rest of the weekend, I'll update these links when the posts are live!
Part 1 - Fun Before the Races
Part 3 - Princess Half Marathon
Part 4 - Kids Races